Fear of the dentist is a very common issue
Fear of the dentist is common problem. More patients are suffering from this than you think. Fear for the dentist occurs in every age group, children and adults. Some people do find it scary, but when they sit on the dentist chair it is not that bad. Another group of anxious people rather keeps avoiding the dentist as much as possible. In the worst case they never even schedule an appointment out of fear of the dentist resulting in many dental problems.
Possible causes of fear of the dentist
- If one of the parents is extremely afraid of the dentist then this fear can unintentionally be passed on to one of his/her children.
- If the patient is extremely afraid of the total amount of treatments and operations; and hasn’t visit the dentist for a long time.
- Being extremely scared of pain
- Having fear of complications
- Being afraid of the dentist observing a serious dental problem